Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Owen Lunt sends Crewe through to Round Three

29 November 2022

Match Reports

Owen Lunt sends Crewe through to Round Three

29 November 2022

  • The Young Railwaymen are through to the FA Youth Cup Third Round
  • Owen Lunt gets the crucial goal for 1-0 win in Grimsby
  • Crewe head back to South Cheshire with a clean sheet

Crewe Alexandra manage to get over the line with Owen Lunt's second-half strike sending them through to Round Three of the FA Youth Cup.

Grimsby started the better of the two teams when Harry Thorpe took a powerful shot that had to be tipped over the bar by Jack Flint, keeping the scores level after two minutes of the game.

The Young Reds quickly responded as Ty Webster managed to get down the other end and get a shot off but it was deflected and turned narrowly wide of Declyn Dennis’ near post.

Owen Lunt then broke free in the middle of the first half and got a shot off on the edge of the box but the shot wasn’t powerful enough to test the keeper and it was gathered by Dennis.

Calum Aguis was next to test the Grimsby shot stopper as Crewe grew into the game and began to dominate possession. The number seven headered the ball with power but the Grimsby stopper was there to block it with his legs.

The last chance of the half fell to Grimsby’s Gardner as he dropped his shoulder and managed to fire a low cross into the Alex box but this time it evaded everyone and came to nothing.

The second-half started quieter than the first, however the chances kept coming as the two tenacious young sides battled it for a spot in the Third Round.

Sant drilled a deep cross in on the fifty second minute however that cross didn’t find anyone and the attack fizzled out to nothing.

The hosts' second chance of the half came in the 53rd minute, Milner produced a fantastic cross which found Gardner in the box but the forward missed the target.

Lunt then opened the scoring with a fantastic strike against Dennis, giving the Railwaymen their lead in the second round with 68 minutes played on the clock.

Ten minutes later, Crewe let off another shot at goal, but this time the shot was blocked by Markham and the deflected ball was collected by Dennis.

Three minutes were added to the second half but Crewe defended well and kept their lead, they now head back to South Cheshire with a well-deserved win and a spot in the FA Youth Cup Third Round.

Grimsby: Dennis, Storr (Brown 78’), Zerboni (Walsh 78’), Thorpe, Markham, Moore, Milner, Hodgeson (Dennis 63’), Gadner, Brown, Boyd.

Subs not used: Mitchell, Clements, Fletcher, Bradley.

Crewe: Flint, Bhatti, Sant, Crolla (Nolan 75'), Kempster-Down, Washington, Agius (Allport 75'), Lunt, Martins, Holicek, Webster.

Subs Not used: Ziglam, Senior, Williams, Jatta, Robinson.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account