Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23 Report: Crewe 0-0 Barnsley

1 February 2021

Match Reports

U23 Report: Crewe 0-0 Barnsley

1 February 2021

Donervon Daniels came through 45 minutes unscathed as Alex Morris’ Under-23 side had to share the spoils on Monday afternoon, with Barnsley in a 0-0 draw.

The first half saw very few chances with both sides enjoying an even share of possession, and either goalkeeper nothing more than a spectator.

Similarly, the second half was much like the first with very few chances created for either side, with the best chance arriving in the final knockings of the game as the visitors hit the woodwork.

It was a slow opening to the game with nothing between the two sides and so it stayed until the Alex created a half chance just before the half hour mark. Joe Levey crossed from the left, but Tyreece Onyeka couldn’t direct his effort towards goal.

It wasn’t long after before Levey was again involved as he struck a 20-yard free kick towards goal, but goalkeeper, Corey Addai, was equal to it and pushed it past the post. The resultant corner came to nothing.

The final action of the half was in favour of the Barnsley as Jasper Moon stood over a free kick, but from 20-yards he could only strike over the crossbar.

Morris made a change at the interval as Donervon Daniels was replaced by Lewis Billington.

Much like the first half Crewe’s first opportunity fell to Onyeka as Addai came to claim possession but couldn’t hold on, the young striker latched onto the loose ball but blazed his effort over.

On the hour mark Barnsley head coach, Martin Devaney, looked to his bench as Bradley Binns replaced Steve Simpson.

Soon later, the Colliers created their first sight of goal as Cameron Thomson found himself in behind the Railwaymen defence, but Tom Booth made an excellent save to keep the scores level.

Booth was again called into action on 70 minutes as Thomson shot from point blank range, but the Alex stopper was equal to the effort with a superb reaction save.

With 15 minutes left to play the visitors made their second change of the afternoon as their biggest threat, Thomson was replaced by Ashanti Pryce.

As the Tykes were beginning to find their feet in the game, this prompted Morris into making his final substitutions. Kyle Stubbs and Charlie Finney came on for Connor Salisbury and Joe Levey.

The final action of the game saw the best chance, as the visitors smashed the woodwork. A fine curling effort from the left side of the penalty area left Booth stranded, but it was the woodwork that came to his rescue.

A point a piece and a fair result for either side as a game of few chances was reflected in the scoreline.

Crewe XI: Booth (GK), Daniels (Billington 45’), Woodthorpe, Robbins, O’Riordan, Green, Tabinor, Griffiths, Salisbury (Stubbs 83’), Onyeka, Levey (Finney 88’)

Unused subs: Le Grand, Williams

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account