Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Portsmouth Paper Review

6 March 2017

What the press made of the south coast victory

The Chronicle
Captain George Ray headed a late winner as Crewe Alex produced a superb shock victory at Portsmouth on Saturday.
The skipper thumped home the only goal of the game on 76 minutes to seal a memorable three points on the south coast.
More than 200 Alex fans - many who will have made the long trek north in midweek - were on the south coast for the game and their commitment was matched by the players on the pitch
It made it a first away win in 11 for the Alex, and their first League Two win in four, as their mission to free themselves from the dogfight goes on took an upward turn.

The Portsmouth News
Fratton Park’s public address system remained tactfully silent. 
Certainly not the occasion for grand declarations about the sponsors’ man of the match. Recipients of the accolade are subsequently asked to visit various corporate lounges to meet supporters. 
Considering the players had gone missing on the pitch, successfully locating anyone to carry out the post-match honours would have proven improbable. The Blues chose yesterday to go AWOL. 
Of all the games, of all the stages of the season, Paul Cook’s men went into hiding. Cowering behind sofas, trembling under beds, phones switched off and fingers plugging ears. 
Pompey’s players didn’t bother turning up – much to the disgust of those supporters who did attend Fratton Park. The previous weekend, an admirable victory at Carlisle had ramped up belief of automatic promotion. Cruelly it seems.

That potential season-defining moment has been followed up by one point from two home matches as those storm clouds of doubt once again gather. 
Yet it wasn’t merely defeat to Crewe which stung the Fratton faithful, it was the abject manner in which it occurred. David Artell’s side had been hammered at relegation rivals Hartlepool four days previously, all goals arriving in the second half. 
They deservedly departed Fratton Park with a 1-0 triumph and keeper Ben Garratt having not been asked to save a single shot.

Advertisement block