Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Swindon Paper Review

18 January 2016

What the press made of the disappointing Robins defeat

The Chronicle
Nicky Ajose was on hand to haunt his former club as the ex-Crewe Alex striker netted a brace to seal a last-gasp 4-3 win for Swindon Town at the County Ground.
The ex-Alex loan man netted the opener for the Robins and broke Crewe hearts in stoppage time as Steve Davis' men managed to throw away a two-goal lead having led 3-1 going into the break.
A Brad Inman brace and one from Ryan Colclough had given the visitors a deserved lead at the break after they had dominated following Swindon's opener.
But a Jonathan Obika header and an own-goal from Semi Ajayi within the first eigth minutes of a second half which the hosts bossed proved crucial as Crewe left empty handed.

The Sentinel
FORMER Crewe Alexandra loanee Nicky Ajose inflicted more injury time heartache as the Alex conceded in added time once again as they let a two goal half-time lead slip to lose 4-3 at the County Ground.
Ajose, who scored nine goals for the Alex to keep them in League One last season, scored with just seconds left on the clock as Swindon went from 3-1 down to 4-3 up and nick the three points.
Things had looked bright for Steve Davis and his side at half-time, as a Brad Inman brace and an excellent Ryan Colclough finish saw them take a 3-1 lead in to the break.
But in seven disastrous second half minutes, the lead was lost, with Jon Obika and a Ben Nugent own goal seeing the lead lost. From then on Swindon dominated the game, although the Alex looked to be taking a point back to South Cheshire before Ajose scored late on.

Swindon Advertiser
NICKY Ajose struck a stoppage-time winner as Swindon Town fought back from two goals down for the second game in a row at the County Ground to see off bottom side Crewe Alexandra in a cracking League One encounter.
Town overturned a 2-0 deficit to triumph 4-2 at home to Southend a week ago and pulled off another fabulous comeback to make it back-to-back victories on Saturday.
A first-half defensive horror show had gifted Crewe a 3-1 lead at the break, with the visitors battling back after Ajose’s opener to hold the initiative through Brad Inman’s double and a Ryan Colclough strike.
However, Town dug deep again and Jonathan Obika’s header and an own goal from Ben Nugent inside the opening eight minutes of the second half hauled them back level.
The hosts lay siege to the Crewe goal in the final half-an-hour but looked set to be frustrated by a fabulous performance from visiting keeper Ben Garratt, only for Ajose to win the points for Town at the death.

Advertisement block