Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report | Crawley 2 Crewe 2

11 February 2023

Match Reports

Match Report | Crawley 2 Crewe 2

11 February 2023

  • Leveller in 98th minute denies Alex victory
  • Agyei nets his seventh and eighth of the season
  • Crewe finish with 10 men after Robertson red

A 98th minute equaliser forced Crewe Alexandra to settle with a point from their game at Crawley Town.

Lee Bell’s men trailed at the break due to an unfortunate Luke Offord own goal, but Dan Agyei’s double after the restart put them in charge.

Sean Robertson saw red on 85 minutes when he picked up a second yellow card.

And despite a strong resistance, Ben Gladwin smashed a leveller deep into injury time.

It was heartbreaking for Crewe, who will feel they deserved maximum return for a good second-half display.

But they will take the positives as they move towards the midweek of Hartlepool United (Tuesday, 7.45pm).

Bell made three changes to the side that lost to Orient in midweek. Bassala Sambou was recalled in place of the injured David Amoo, while Conor Thomas and Callum Ainley were back at the expense of Charlie Colkett and Rio Adebisi, who dropped to the bench.

Dominic Telford fired inches wide inside five minutes, while Ainley had appeals for a free-kick waved away when he tried to race through on goal waved away at the other end.

On 18 minutes it was 1-0 when Kellan Gordon sped down the Town right and pulled the ball back across goal, and it cannoned off Luke Offord’s back and flew into the net.

Ashley Nadesan was close to turning home the second after another cross from the right, while at the other end Elliott Nevitt brought a super save from keeper Corey Addai after trying his luck from outside the box.

Dave Richards tipped a powerful Jack Powell strike over the bar on 36 minutes, and Gladwin nodded over from the resultant corner.

In first-half stoppage time Agyei beat his man to the byline and pulled back for Nevitt, only for Addai to make a brilliant point-blank save.

Connor O’Riordan and Adebisi were introduced at the break, as the Alex switched to a back three.

It was 1-1 on 51 when Ryan Finnigan played a superb through ball for Agyei to accelerate onto and he found the top corner from an acute angle.

And just after the hour-match, the Alex hit the front. Adebisi helped the ball over the top, Nevitt kept it alive and Ainley was fouled in the box. Agyei showed real composure to find the bottom corner from the spot.

Dominic Telford weaved his way through a couple of defenders before pulling the trigger, but Offord made a great block, as the hosts tried to find a way back.

On 85 minutes Crewe were reduced to 10 men when Robertson picked up a second booking for a shove in the back.

Deep into injury time, Crawley snatched a point when Gladwin controlled a dispatched a cross from the left with aplomb.

Crawley (4-4-1-1): Addai; Gordon, Francillette, Tsaroulla, Conroy; Jenks (Oteh, 76), Fellows (Lynch 90), Powell (Roles, 70), Nadesan; Gladwin; Telford.    

Subs not used: Schofield, Johnson, Ogungbo.

Booked: Telford, Francillette.

Crewe (4-2-3-1): Richards; Uwakwe (Adebisi, 46), Offord, McDonald, Robertson; Finnigan, Thomas; Agyei, Ainley (Brook, 84), Sambou (O’Riordan, 45); Nevitt.

Subs not used: Beadle, Griffiths, Colkett, Tabiner.

Booked: Robertson, Agyei, McDonald

Sent off: Robertson.

Referee: Charlie Breakspear.

Attendance: 2,589 (205).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account