Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report |Crewe 1 Doncaster 1

22 October 2022

  • Spoils are shared at Mornflake Stadium
  • Baker-Richardson nets his eighth of the season
  • Sixth draw of the season for The Railwaymen

Crewe Alexandra were held by a 1-1 draw by Doncaster Rovers at Mornflake Stadium on Saturday.

Courtney Baker-Richardson netted his eighth of the season to give The Railwaymen a 1-0 lead at the break.

Although they were grateful for a super penalty save from keeper Arthur Okonkwo on the stroke of half-time.

But George Miller made amends for his spot-kick failure by netting the equaliser with 13 minutes to go.

Taking just one point will have come as a disappointment for boss Alex Morris, whose side were the better of the two on the day.

However, he will take positives from an improved display.

Morris made three changes to the side that lost in midweek. One was enforced, as Rod McDonald missed out through injury and Kelvin Mellor was recalled. Arthur Okonkwo and Tariq Uwakwe came in for Dave Richards and Charlie Finney.

Finney and Dan Agyei brought routine saves from Rovers keeper Jonathan Mitchell, before Crewe took the lead on 15 minutes.

Uwakwe’s cross into the box was met by a looping header from Baker-Richardson, who placed his effort perfectly over the despairing grasp of Mitchell.

Joel Tabiner, who impressed all afternoon with his skilful play, crossed for Baker-Richardson to head just wide on 29 minutes, as the hosts continued to look the most likely.

The visitors didn’t show up as an attacking force until after the half-hour mark, but it took a super save from Okonkwo to deny Harrison Biggins a leveller on 38 minutes.

And the giant keeper was the hero on 45 minutes, when he brilliantly clawed out Miller’s penalty, which was awarded when Baker-Richardson was adjudged to have handballed.

On 51 minutes, Rio Adebisi stung the hands of Mitchell after a well-worked corner routine, and on 55 the keeper was hard at work again to keep an Agyei drive out.

Tabiner brought another good stop from Mitchell after some good approach play, but Uwakwe was off-target with a direct free-kick in a good position.

On 74 minutes, Adam Clayton was a whisker away with a free-kick right on the edge of the Crewe box, as Rovers searched for an equaliser.

And on 77 minutes it was 1-1 when Miller raced onto a through ball and poked the ball past an onrushing Okonkwo.

There were nerves at both ends in the final stages, as six minutes were added at the end.

Lachlan Brook brought a save from Mitchell, and Baker-Richardson volleyed wide, but Crewe could not find a winner.

Crewe (3-5-2): Okonkwo; Mellor, Offord, Williams; Adebisi, Thomas, Tabiner (King 74), O Finney (Brook 83), Uwakwe (Sambou 89); Baker-Richardson, Agyei.

Subs not used: Richards, Leshabela, C Finney, Sass-Davies.

Booked: Baker-Richardson, Offord, Brook

Doncaster (3-5-2): Mitchell; Williams, Long, Anderson; Knoyle, Close (Hurst 67), Clayton, Biggins, Maxwell; Molyneux (Woltman 67), Miller (Agard 88).

Subs not used: Jones, Taylor, Seaman, Faulkner.

Booked: None.

Referee: C Brook.

Attendance: 4,099 (516).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account