Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

FA Youth Cup - Crewe 3-0 Grimsby

26 October 2021

Club News

FA Youth Cup - Crewe 3-0 Grimsby

26 October 2021

Alex through to the second round of FA Youth Cup after Sailsbury brace and Tabiner defeat Grimsby.

Lee Bell’s Youth team comfortably progressed into the second round of the FA Youth Cup with a 3-0 win over Grimsby Town. Forward Connor Sailsbury scored two first half goals to set the Crewe youngsters on the way at the Mornflake Stadium. Midfielder Joel Tabiner added a third goal in the second half with a stunning shot.

Crewe set the early pace with midfielder Joel Tabiner shooting just over before Sailsbury headed over after some fine skill from Ty Webster. 

Sailsbury was unlucky not to open the scoring on 15 minutes after his goalbound effort was cleared off the line with Grimsby’s goalkeeper Tom Jacobs beaten. Sailsbury was teed up superbly by Slovakian Matus Holicek.

Crewe’s dominance in the final third continued and Sailsbury eventually broke the deadlock on 28 minutes. He had his captain, Zac Williams, to thank for his strong run forward from his defensive position. Williams looked to have been fouled on the edge of the box but the referee played a good advantage and Sailsbury slotted the loose ball into the bottom corner. It was no more than Crewe deserved for their excellent football.

Williams found Sailsbury with another probing ball, this time from his own half but on this occasion, the Crewe forward just couldn’t quite get it under his spell to get a shot off.

At the other end, Grimsby’s first half chances were limited but Harvey Tomlison did have a good chance inside the Crewe box blocked by Sailsbury following a short corner.

Crewe continued to press and impress. They were probing, looking to get in behind and use the legs of the full-backs to overlap and provide service. A strong run from right back, Sam Bhatti did just that and Holicek’s shot had to be pushed away to safety.

The second goal duly arrived though with Sailsbury showing fine persistence and strength to come off the by-line before finishing superbly passed a defenceless Jacobs on the stroke of half-time. Crewe were worth their 2-0 lead and they deserved their appaluse as they left the pitch for the break.

Crewe were soon on the front foot again in the second period. Holicek went over inside the box after looking like he had been bundled over by Edwin Essell. There was also a strong shout for a handball when the winger drilled across cross into the six yard box but nothing was forthcoming from the officials. 

Grimsby had a couple of half chances. Williams blocked a shot from Harry Milner before Tabiner sealed the 3-0 scoreline on 62 minutes with a fine shot from the edge of the box after Holicek and Sean Lawton combined down the left.

Tom Booth was called into action to tip over a dipping shot and from the resultant corner, defender Jamie Bramwell clipped the crossbar with a towering header. They were the Mariners best chances of the game.

Bell made a double change with Zac Kempster-Down and Sam Crolla replacing Holicek and Webster.

A downward header from the impressive Williams from a corner hit the post on 75 minutes before Sailsbury was forced off with cramp. Lewis Nolan replaced him.

To their credit, Grimsby kept going and Tomlinson had a late effort deflected wide and out for a corner.

Crewe kept the ball in the closing stages with frustration getting to a couple of Grimsby players, with George Sims and Aaron Braithwaite booked for fouls.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account