Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Artell: "One Was Enough But It Should Have Been More"

1 May 2021

Crewe Alexandra boss David Artell was pleased that his side finished the season’s away campaign with another win, but he said that it should have been by a greater margin following our first half dominance.

Callum Ainley deservedly fired us in front just before the 20 minute mark and we had enough openings to have raced away with the game at the Memorial Stadium. With those chances going begging, we then had to see out the win against a Bristol Rovers side already relegated to League Two for next season.

Speaking after our deserved 1-0 win, Artell told us: “The result and performance were fine but it should have been more than 1-0. It should have been more comfortable and it was a bit of a travesty that it was only 1-0 at half-time. We dominated the first half and it should have been done but it wasn’t and it was a travesty really that it has ended 1-0. It is the only the last 20 minutes that they had a bit of a go.

“But that sums us up, there have been too many games when we should have killed it off way before the end and we know that is something to work on.

“It is a great win, another away win and a clean-sheet but it should have been by a bigger margin. We should have been so further than we were. I didn’t feel any danger really.

“We spoke about Callum adding those goals and games to his game and that is a great response from him. He was excellent on Tuesday night and we spoke about that 95% and the other 5% and today he has been the match winner, so that is a great start.

“One of the lads said on the bench, that they hadn’t realised Cal was such a good player but he is, he has all the attributes and it is just that extra 5% we have to get into him. He can become a top player. He has all the ability in the world that lad.

He added: “We are a work in progress because there were numerous occasions that we should have scored more goals. One goal proved to be enough today but we know we have to become more clinical in both boxes.”

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account