Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

"Callum Was 95% Unbelievably Good"

28 April 2021

Boss says only thing lacking from Ainley performance at the Valley was a goal or an assist.

Crewe Alexandra boss David Artell hailed the performance of Callum Ainley on his return to the starting line-up at the Valley last night.

Owen Dale may have deservedly got the plaudits for his two splendid finishes but Ainley showcased his talent on one of the biggest stages in League One against Charlton Athletic.

Ainley was excellent when ghosting into pockets of space and Artell says that the only thing missing from his all-round display was a goal or an assist.

Artell says it is now up to him, his staff and the player himself to covert him into a goal threat for next season.

The Alex boss told the club’s official website: “I thought Callum was 95% excellent. The other 5% is because he didn’t assist or score a goal when he should of.

“I thought he was really terrific. He picked up some unbelievable positions and that is a real skill in itself but the only criticism is that 5% in the opposition box.

“It is up to us to get more out of him and make him that goal scorer. We did with Oli Finney and now we have to do it with Callum.

“That is a real big area for improvement for him and he has to believe just how good he is and can be because he is a terrific player.”


Advertisement block