Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23 Report: Bolton 1-4 Crewe

15 October 2019

Match Reports

U23 Report: Bolton 1-4 Crewe

15 October 2019

Crewe Alexandra stormed to victory after a convincing 4-1 win away at Bolton Wanderers thanks to four unique goal scorers.

The opening twenty minutes were hotly contested between two sides at opposite ends of the table. Bolton, who are yet to pick up a point in the Professional Development League 2 gave a good account of themselves early on. Former Rangers striker Joe Doodoo and returning front man Connor Hall both came close.

It would be Lewis Reilly who would break the deadlock on the 23rd minute after he headed the ball in from close range. Crewe were not finished there however, two goals in quick succession gave Alexandra a stranglehold on the game when Travis Johnson placed the ball in to the bottom left corner past the Bolton keeper.

With a comfortable lead heading in to half-time, Crewe took their foot off the gas and allowed the hosts a flurry of chances. Doodoo struck the bar whilst Hall headed wide from five yards. Goalkeeper Sam Booth was tested from range by Ronan Darcy but was best to it.

Bolton would make a change at half-time taking off now first team regular Dennis Politic for Sonny Graham. The change would be made in vain however as Rio Adebisi would collect the ball inside the six-yard box and fire home to give the Railwaymen a three-goal advantage after the 50th minute.

It would only take another three minutes for the Trotters to break their scoring duck after Hall would finally make his way on to the scoresheet reducing the deficit to two from close range.

After another Bolton substitute which saw the introduction of Callum King-Harmes for Darcy, Crewe would score again courtesy of Chuma Anene; it was the final touch to fantastic move by Alexandra.

King-Harmes and Hall would continue to pressure Booth and his defence to cut Crewe’s advantage, but the keepers reflexes were just too good on this occasion. Doodoo would leave the field for Eddie Brown signifying the final change for the home side.

James Weir and Sonny Graham took their turns at forcing Booth in to more saves but it would be Adebisi who would come closest in the final moments of the match after he saw his far post effort sail over the bar.

After the final whistle Crewe walked away from the Macron Stadium 4-1 winners and third in the PDL2 only two points behind league leaders Nottingham Forest.

Crewe: Booth, Johnson, Adebisi, Offord, Lundstram, Dale, Finney, Griffiths, Ainley, Reilly, Anene

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account