Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U23 Report: Crewe 1-1 Burnley

4 December 2018

Apologies, this video is unvailable.
Match Reports

U23 Report: Crewe 1-1 Burnley

4 December 2018

Crewe: Richards, Johnson, Ray, Offord, O'Connor, Lowery, Lundstram, Finney, Lynch, Heath, Dale

Goals: Finney (62)


Crewe Alexandra Under 23s were held to a 1-1 draw by Burnley in their latest U23 PDL2 contest.

Alex Morris' side were on the hunt for a seventh straight victory & it should've come but for a combination of poor finishing and fine goalkeeping by Clarets stopper Anders Lindegaard.

The visitors fortuitously took the lead in the opening period through Jordan Cropper, but Oli Finney equalised after the break before Tommy Lowery missed a penalty.

George Ray played 90 minutes on his comeback from a troublesome rib problem & could now be in contention for first team action against Oldham Athletic on Saturday.

In truth the first period was a largely even affair, entertaining with chances for both sides.

Owen Dale got ahead of his marker just five minutes in but flashed his header narrowly wide of the near post from a Kevin O'Connor cross.

Burnley took the lead under freakish circumstances with 13 minutes on the clock. Right-back Cropper got down the touch-line & attempted to fire over a cross. An Alex defender stayed with the run & successfully blocked the cross, only for the ball to whip up in the air, speed up & fly into the far corner leaving goalkeeper Dave Richards with no chance.

That stunned Crewe for a period, and the Clarets almost made it 2-0 on 27 minutes when Richards was forced into a great save to deny Richard Gayler from close range.

After re-gaining momentum, Crewe put together some promising attacks & should've drawn level on the stroke of half-time. Connor Heath was unmarked six yards out in the centre from a corner kick, but could only plant his header a few yards over the top.

Into the second period & Crewe controlled 95% of the proceedings - Finney twice going close inside the opening five minutes, Lindegaard saving an effort with his legs, but the in-form Alex man danced into the box & curled a shot just wide.

The pressure continued & the equalister arrived just after the hour mark, Travis Johnson powering down the right flank & firing over a low cross. Finney took a touch to control & then smashed his 10-yard effort in off the underside of the crossbar with Lindegaard rooted to the spot.

The turnaround should've been completed just moments later on the 65 minute mark. It was Finney again causing the problems, shooting from just outside the area. A Burnley man put his hands up to block & the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Tommy Lowery stepped up & fired his kick to the keeper's right - but Lindegaard guessed right & dived to push the penalty-shot away to safety.

Continuing to press the advantage, Finney should've scored a second himself on 79 minutes, wriggling free of a few challenges inside of the box before snatching at his shot & firing wide at the near post.

George Ray planted a free header straight at Lindegaard from a set-piece with four minutes remaining, but Burnley almost stole victory with two minutes left on the clock when substitute Tinahis Ohakwana took his shot early on the half-volley from the edge of the box. With Richards beaten, the ball dipped & bounced inches wide of the post.

Next up for the in-form Alex Under 23s is a home clash with Sheffield Wednesday on Monday (10 December).

Click here to view all of the Under 23s fixtures & results.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account