Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Fixture News

Paper Review: Crewe 2-2 Port Vale

3 April 2018

The Chronicle

CHARLIE Kirk scored a dramatic 93rd minute equaliser as Crewe Alex and Port Vale shared a thrilling 2-2 draw at Gresty Road on Monday.

The homegrown youngster came off the bench to smash in a late leveller which sparked scenes of relief and jubilation from home fans.

Earlier, Ryan Wintle had capitalised on a keeping error to nod Crewe ahead but Tom Pope levelled from the penalty spot.

Anthony Kay’s stunner after the break looked to have won it for the Vale until Kirk’s late intervention salvaged a share of the spoils.

The result has moved Crewe 10 points clear of the drop zone.


The Sentinel

Honest Port Vale boss Neil Aspin said his side didn’t deserve more than a point after conceding an injury-time equaliser in their 2-2 draw at Crewe.

Vale recovered from falling behind in the seventh minute, to Ryan Wintle’s header, to level through Tom Pope’s penalty on 36 minutes before taking the lead with a superb long-range strike from Antony Kay on 71.

However, the Alex levelled through substitute Charlie Kirk three minutes into injury time.

The result moved Vale up a place to 19th, nine points clear of the relegation zone, but Aspin said he wants more from his side than this.

He has no problem with their work rate, but says they have to improve their play.

He said: “I think I have gone through every emotion. I must say the first 20 minutes is probably the worst I have seen us in terms of mistakes and being second to the ball. We didn’t keep the ball or get up to support the striker.

“I thought we were very poor. The opening goal did rock us and I have to say it looked a matter of time before Crewe scored their second because we weren’t at the races. We needed the mistake – which it was - for the penalty which got us back in the game and then I think we finished the first half the stronger team.

“But overall I can’t sit here and say we deserved the win. We should have got it because you shouldn’t concede when we did, but we didn’t deserve the win, we need to be better than that.”


Port Vale FC Official Website

A late goal from Crewe Alexandra ended hopes of Port Vale getting a vital Derby Day win at Gresty Road. Antony Kay’s 30-yard screamer was cancelled out by a late Charlie Kirk equaliser following two goals in the first-half.

It wasn’t a great start from The Valiants as they went a goal down inside seven minutes. Ryan Wintle got on the end of a goalkeeping error, allowing The Railwaymen to go ahead.

But a moment of madness changed the game as Luke Hannant awarded Vale a penalty after going down under Jamie Sterry’s challenge. Tom Pope stepped up and planted into the bottom corner as things went level on 36 minutes.


Advertisement block