Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

U23: Crewe 3-2 Leeds

10 April 2017

Morris’ side keep up play-off charge with another vital victory

Crewe Alexandra Under 23’s strengthened their chance of making the U23 PDL2 end of season play-offs with yet another victory – a fourth straight win in league & cup.

Goals from Perry Ng, Ryan Wintle & Callum Saunders secured the 3-2 success over Leeds at The Alexandra Stadium to make it ten unbeaten in all competitions, with a place in the play-offs still a possibility.

Oli Finney produced the first meaningful action of the game, striking a ninth minute effort from 20-yards that took a deflection & looped onto the roof of the net with goalkeeper Mory Diaw beaten.

Crewe continued to press & looked the better side, but Leeds almost took a 20th minute lead. Winger Lewis Knight got in one-on-one with Andy Dawber, poking his shot just wide.

Ng grabbed the opener that Crewe deserved on 27 minutes, firing his shot into the corner from inside the box after Charlie Kirk’s corner was deflected into his path.

The Alex continued to probe the Leeds goal but were guilty of wasting good openings, and they were made to pay ten minutes before the interval.

Marcus Poscha lost possession on the edge of his penalty area to Leeds man Knight & he produced a pinpoint cross for Sammy Amissah to glance a header into the far corner for 1-1.

The Alex assault continued into the second half, Wintle stinging the hands of Diaw from 20-yards on 52 minutes, before getting his aim right just three minutes later to restore Crewe’s lead.

He lined up his second effort from the same position & this time struck it perfectly like an arrow into the bottom corner to leave Diaw with no chance.

Callum Saunders came close to extending the advantage on 63 minutes, firing a low drive on goal from the edge of the box that the goalkeeper did well to save with his legs.

Leeds threatened for the first time in the second period on 65 minutes, substitute Jack Clarke hitting an instinctive dipping effort from distance that Andy Dawber did really well to tip over the top.

It was Saunders that finally made the dominance pay to make the game all but safe on 78 minutes. Wintle played a terrifically measured ball over the top & with the onrushing Diaw not getting there, Saunders lofted a volley over the top on the stretch that bounced into the net.

But that third only sparked Leeds into action & they pulled one back to make it 3-2 just two minutes later. It was a free-kick out wide that was crossed into the box, with substitute full-back Mike Taylor glancing a header into the far corner to keep The Whites in the contest.

That’s the way it stayed, with Crewe sub Josh Lundstram smashing a 93rd minute shot wide when he raced through one-on-one.

The Alex must now beat Watford at GR next week & Sheffield United in their final game of the season, and hope Hull City slip-up, to make the Play-off Picture.

Crewe: Dawber, Woodcock, Pickering, Poscha (Sass-Davies), Ng (c), Wintle, Finney, Kirk (Lundstram), Ainley, Saunders, Udoh (Reilly)

Click here to view all of the U23's fixtures, results & reports

Advertisement block