Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Grimsby Paper Review

19 September 2016

What the press made of the third straight league win

The Chronicle
Steve Davis was pleased with the manner of his side’s fourth consecutive victory on Saturday.
The Alex bossed the game at Grimsby Town and emerged 2-0 winners thanks to strikes from George Cooper and James Jones.
They could even afford a Chris Dagnall penalty miss as they moved up to third in the League Two.
Manager Davis said: “It was a really professional performance from us.”

The Sentinel
CREWE Alexandra picked up a third consecutive league win, and fourth in all competitions, thanks to a 2-0 win at Grimsby Town.
It was a deserved three points for Steve Davis and his side on the manager's 250th game in charge of the club.
The goals came from George Cooper, just moments before half-time, with James Jones doubling the advantage with five minutes to play as Crewe moved in to the League Two automatic promotion places.
Chris Dagnall had missed a first half penalty, but that failed to deter the Alex who who were much the better team on the afternoon.

Grimsby Telegraph
AN off-colour Grimsby Town have gone down 2-0 against Crewe Alexandra this afternoon.
George Cooper grabbed the opening goal of the game on the stroke of half-time after pouncing on a mistake from the hosts, before James Jones added a second with five minutes to go.
The visitors could have gone ahead just before the ten-minute mark, but Chris Dagnall powered at header straight at James McKeown when he should have perhaps given him no chance.
The Mariners were laboured and almost found themselves behind on the half hour when a looping cross hit the out-stretched arm of Josh Gowling and referee Michael Salisbury pointed to the spot.
Dagnall fired the spot-kick to McKeown's right, but the Town keeper had gone the right way and pushed the ball away, sparking Blundell Park into life.
Despite being second-best for much of the half, Town thought they'd gone in front when fine work from Dominic Vose saw the ball worked out to Omar Bogle, who produced a shot that Ben Garratt found too hot to handle, but Shaun Tuton was flagged offside as he tapped home the rebound.
Crewe finally found a way to break the deadlock just before the break, but it was gift-wrapped for them by Town.

Advertisement block