Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Cheltenham FA Cup Paper Review

7 November 2016

What the press made of the 1-1 Draw

The Chronicle
Steve Davis felt it took his side to fall behind to spark into life as they made sure their name will be in the FA Cup second round draw after a 1-1 draw at Cheltenham Town.
James Jones earned the Alex a replay with his goal 17 minutes from time after Billy Waters had threatened to give 10-man Cheltenham victory.
The hosts played for almost an hour with 10 men after Kyle Storer saw red for catching Jones with a flailing arm.
But Crewe were lacklustre up until the final 20 minutes where they also snatched a victory.
And Davis said: “I’m delighted to be still in. Their goal gave us a bit of a spark.
“They were relying on the set-plays, which is where they had the advantage, but I thought we had the quality but it took until they scored though for us to show it.”

The Sentinel
James Jones' equaliser rescued a first round replay for Crewe against 10-man Cheltenham at Whaddon Road.
The hosts were reduced to 10 men just after the half hour mark when Kyle Storer saw red for what appeared to be off the ball clash with James Jones. But former Crewe player Billy Waters put his side in front with a close-range finish after Ben Garratt had denied Rob Dickie with an excellent save.
Crewe piled on the pressure, first in search of an equaliser, which came with 17 minutes left as Jones fired past the keeper after being found by a terrific George Cooper pass.
It was Crewe who looked the likelier to force a winner, but it ended goalless and a replay at the Alexandra Stadium on Tuesday week.

Gloucestershire Live
Gary Johnson has no worries about the temper and temperament of Cheltenham Town vice-captain Kyle Storer, despite the influential midfielder's red card in Saturday's FA Cup clash with Crewe.
Storer will miss three games after being deemed guilty of violent conduct when flailing an arm at Crewe's James Jones nine minutes before half-time.
The 10 men rallied to earn a place in Monday night's second round draw as Billy Waters struck against the club who released him 18 months ago before Jones claimed the leveller with 17 minutes remaining.
But despite extending the unbeaten run in all competitions to eight games the main talking point post-match was on the disciplinary problems surrounding the Robins' vice-captain.

Advertisement block