The Alex have found out Group Stage opposition
Crewe Alexandra have been drawn with Wolverhampton Wanderers in the EFL Trophy Group Stage after the draw for the new format of the competition was conducted today.
The Alex will also play fellow League Two side Accrington Stanley and League One outfit Chesterfield in the four-team group.
The competition draw was regionalised and, of the category one academy teams, Crewe could've drawn either Stoke City, Everton, Blackburn Rovers or Wolves.
Confirmed fixture dates & ticket prices for all three games will be confirmed in due course.
EFL Trophy Information:
This year's competition will include:
- 48 clubs from League One and Two.
- 16 invited Category One Academy teams.
The group stages will include:
- 16 groups of four teams organised on a regionalised basis.
- Groups to include one invited club and at least one club from each of Leagues One & Two.
- Clubs to play each other once, either home or away. Invited clubs will play one home game at the club's first team stadium.
- Clubs will be awarded 3 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. In the event of a drawn game (after 90 minutes), a penalty shootout will be held with the winning team earning an additional point.
- The top two teams will progress to the Knockout Stage.
- Round 2 (32 teams) will remain regionalised with each group winner being drawn at home to a second placed team from a different qualifying group.
- Round 3 (16 teams) and Round 4 (8 teams) will be 'free' draws.
- Semi-finals (4 teams) will be a 'free' draw and will consist of single ties played at the stadium of the club drawn first in each tie.
- If scores are level after 90 minutes in Rounds 2, 3 and 4, the game will be determined by the taking of penalties. The EFL will confirm arrangements for the Semi-Finals and Final in due course following further consultation.
- Group stage one w/c 29th August 2016
- Group stage two w/c 3rd October 2016
- Group stage three w/c 7th November 2016
- Round 2 - w/c 5th December 2016
- Round 3 - w/c 9th January 2017
- Round 4 - w/c 23rd January 2017
- Semi- Final - w/c 20th February 2017
- Final - 2nd April 2017 (Wembley Stadium)