Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Hartlepool Paper Review

17 August 2016

What the press made of the six-goal thriller

The Chronicle
Crewe Alex let a commanding lead slip as they were held 3-3 by Hartlepool United at Gresty Road on Tuesday night.
Chris Dagnall’s first for the club and strikes from Alex Kiwomya and George Cooper had the Alex in control at 3-1 up with 20 minutes left.
But poor defending allowed Carl Magnay to get his second, just after Padraig Amond had pulled one back, to frustrate the home fans.
It does mean that Crewe’s unbeaten start to the season continues, but this should have been another three points.

The Sentinel
CREWE blew what seemed to be a regulation three points as two goals in the matter of three minutes saw Hartlepool storm back to take what seemed an unlikely point from Gresty Road last night.
A first for the club for Chris Dagnall, as well as strikes from Alex Kiwomya and George Cooper had seemingly set the Alex on the way to their first three points at the Alexandra Stadium, only to be denied by two goals in three minutes from the visitors.
It forced a grandstand finish that few could have predicted when Cooper put the Alex 3-1 ahead in the 56th minute.
But a fortuitous Padraig Amond strike, was followed by a second for full-back Carl Magnay as the hosts failed to deal with a set play to give the visitors a share of the spoils.
However, it wasn't as though Crewe didn't have a chance to snatch a late victory, with Ryan Lowe squandering a chance from just 10 yards out when it looked certain he would grab his fourth of the season.

Hartlepool Mail
Hartlepool United came from behind to snatch a dramatic point at Crewe Alexandra while keeping their unbeaten league record intact, with a 3-3 draw. A brace from Carl Magnay coupled with Padraig Amond’s first goal for the club saw Pools recover having been behind twice. 
The visitors fell behind to Chris Dagnall’s close-range finish just after the half hour, before levelling through Magnay’s fine curling effort from 25 yards minutes before the break. 
Crewe retook the lead on the stroke of half-time as Alex Kiwomya side-footed home from 12 yards before seeing their lead extended as George Cooper’s cross found the back of the net on 56 minutes. 
But just as it looked as if it looked as if Pools were down and out, they were given a lifeline as Amond stabbed home from close range with 73 minutes on the clock. 
And a leveller came only three minutes later as Magnay stooped low at the far post to head home Nathan Thomas’ teasing free-kick. Craig Hignett’s side were then able to withstand some late pressure from the Railwaymen and secure a hard-fought point away from home.

Advertisement block