Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

"Still Searching For Complete 90 Minutes"

6 October 2015

Steve Davis disappointed as we concede three again to exit Football League Trophy.

He added: "George looks to have been headed in his cheekbone, so he has some swelling around his cheek and he went immediately to Leighton Hospital to have it X-rayed and looked over to see if there is any damage to the cheek. He came around pretty quickly, he wasn't out long but obviously there appears to be some damage there because it is swollen. We will have to assess that once he has had the X-ray."

"Then we had a terrific chance to draw level with Marcus, one-one-one and then Lauri has an empty net to head into it. It was a massive moment and I told them that they have got to take chances like that and do better. It would have given us a a draw and a chance at penalties.

"We didn't cope with their pressure at that stage and they kept probing and had the luxury of bringing someone as experienced as Grant Holt on. They got their reward for their pressure and it was harsh on Callum. He came on and lost the ball. They broke and they scored the third goal. It was a terrific strike but we backed off a little too far. I thought we could have closed him down earlier than that but it was a terrific strike.

"Both teams lacked a bit of tempo first half but picked it up second half but again there wasn't that much in it. There were chances at both ends and I thought we deserved to be 2-1 ahead at half time. They had a better 15/20 minute spell in the second half where they were ruthless and we wilted a little bit. We couldn't quite cope with that and I think us losing George (Ray) through injury and having to make that adjustment disrupted us a little bit.

After the game, the Alex boss told us: "It was a good game and the effort from the players was there to see but again we have got no reward for it. I know I've said that a number of times this season. In the end we couldn't produce that complete 90 minute performance and Wigan pressure paid off for them in the end.

After Crewe Alexandra played their part in a thrilling Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie but sadly went out 3-2, Steve Davis praised his players efforts against Wigan Athletic but was disappointed we conceded three goals at home again. The Alex led twice on the night but were eventually beaten by Yanic Wildschut's wonder strike with 14 minutes left.

Advertisement block