Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Steve: "We Have Got To Be Braver"

17 January 2015

Alex boss gives us his post match verdict from Meadow Lane

"We didn’t have the energy to take those chances. I don’t think the midfield players ran beyond the front two and the forwards were a bit quiet other than the first half an hour. We needed to take some chances and be brave enough to push on and look to win the game."

"The goals we conceded were avoidable. I was disappointed with them. Uche made a poor decision giving away a free-kick in the first place and we didn’t organise ourselves quickly enough from the quick free-kick. Jon took too long to get himself sorted to clear it and the lad has nipped ahead of him and he has caught him. You see a lot of those penalties nowadays.

"It came back to haunt us a bit and we always tell the players that if we cannot win the game then we make sure we don’t lose it, so I was disappointed we continued see it through and conceded that late goal to make it 2-1.

"We had started really well and uncharacteristically Nicky (Ajose) missed a couple of chances.

It looked as though, Crewe may have stretched their unbeaten run to five games, but substitute Billy Daniels scored a stunning winner with four minutes left. Steve told the club's official web-site: "We are disappointed because we have been on a good run and we wanted that to continue. In that respect we are disappointed not to have got something from the game today, because I thought we had enough chances in the opening 15, 20 minutes to have been two or three goals up and then we would have gone on to have won the game comfortably. They were nervous I thought and it was a good time to come here but we didn’t put those chances away when we were on top. Crewe Alexandra boss Steve Davis was disappointed that his side couldn't quite see out the game this evening to collect a point and in the process keep our unbeaten run going. Jamie Ness, who was Crewe's best performer on the day had fired Crewe level just two minutes into the second half after Liam Noble had given Notts County the lead from the penalty spot with the very last kick of the first period.

Advertisement block