Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Colchester Paper Review

9 February 2015

What the press made of the trip to Essex

The Sentinel
CREWE picked up a huge three points on the road as they staged a terrific second half comeback at Colchester United.
Chris Porter fired the hosts in the front in first half stoppage time as he lashed in a left-footed effort from the edge of the box.
However, the Alex were back in it on 67 minute as James Jones scored his first ever goal, turning home Lauri Dalla Valle’s cut back before taking the lead just four minutes later as a neat through ball from Jamie Ness set Ajose clear and after one touch, fired the ball below Walker.
Anthony Grant scored his second of the season on 83 minutes, firing in after a Marcus Haber knockdown as the Alex scored three on the road for the first time this season.

The Chronicle
Crewe Alex took a vital three points in their relegation battle with a super fight-back at Colchester on Saturday.
The Railwaymen had previously lost each of the 14 League One games in which they had fallen behind this season. So when they trailed to a Chris Porter goal at the break, the signs were ominous.
But second-half strikes from James Jones, Nicky Ajose and Anthony Grant helped them to a sixth-straight win at the Us.
Jack Marriott had nerves jangling at the end when he pulled one back, but the Alex held on.
They are now 19th, four points clear of the drop zone with back-to-back home games coming up.

Colchester Daily Gazette
Colchester United's survival hopes suffered a blow this afternoon after they were beaten 3-2 at home by fellow strugglers Crewe Alexandra.
The U's have now lost six of their last seven home games, after they lost to Alex.
Chris Porter went close for Colchester in the opening minutes, in a tight first half.
And the U's took the lead in first half stoppage-time when Porter chested down Matthew Briggs’ pass before lashing a fine shot home from the edge of the area.
But Crewe started the second half well and Lauri Dalla Valle and James Jones both went close for the visitors, early in the second half.
Crewe equalised midway through the second half through Jones, who slotted home Dalla Valle’s pass from close range..
Nicky Ajose put Crewe ahead five minutes later when he collected Anthony Grant’s pass before shooting confidently home.
And Grant made it 3-1 with nine minutes remaining when he turned smartly in the area and planted a low shot past Sam Walker, to leave the U's up against it.
Substitute Jack Marriott gave Colchester hope with five minutes to go when he scored from close range but it was not enough for the U's.

Advertisement block