Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Shrewsbury Paper Review

30 December 2015

What the press made of the last minute defeat

The Chronicle
Crewe Alex were beaten in the last minute of their final game of 2015 on Monday.
Shaun Whalley struck right at the end of his first start for Shrewsbury to condemn the Alex to a defeat they did not deserve.
Earlier, Ryan Colclough’s seventh of the season had cancelled out Larnell Cole’s opener, but the Alex will go into 2016 second-bottom of League One.
After an incredibly lacklustre start Crewe found themselves 1-0 down to Cole’s strike and they didn’t seem able to get going.
But Colclough’s leveller, provided by a quality Ryan Lowe pass, sparked them into life and they finished the half on top.
The Alex bossed the second half and had several gilt-edged chances, with Lowe, Colclough and Adam King all going close.
But the visitors hung in and grabbed all three points thanks to Whalley’s curler. The hosts had no reply.

The Sentinel
THERE was more late heartbreak for Crewe Alexandra and their fans as they conceded another late, late goal to dent their survival hopes against Shrewsbury at Gresty Road.
In a game they should have won, they were to find themselves on the losing side as Shaun Whalley's 90th minute strike inflicted more pain on Steve Davis's men, just over two weeks after conceding twice in injury time to lose 3-2 at Doncaster Rovers.
Crewe bossed the second half, creating a number of excellent opportunities, but were denied by some fine goalkeeping from Mark Halstead and a number of near misses.
They end 2015 second bottom of League One, with 20 points from their 23 games, their lowest number at the half-way stage since they were last relegated from League One back in 2008/09.

The Shropshire Star
Shrewsbury Town signed off for 2015 on a winning note and gave their survival fight a shot in the arm thanks to a stunning last-gasp winner from Shaun Whalley.
Whalley struck a spectacular goal right at the end of normal time to clinch Town’s first away victory since November 20.
Larnell Cole’s 10th minute opener had been cancelled out by Ryan Colclough's equaliser 16 minutes later.
In truth, it was hard on Crewe, who played a full part in a hugely entertaining game that saw chances at both ends as Town goalkeeper  Mark Halstead made two fine saves.
But Micky Mellon’s side never gave up and they delighted their 1,203 following with a win that left their manager pumping his fists in the air to the fans at the final  whistle.

Advertisement block