Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Preston Paper Review

13 August 2015

What the press made of the League Cup defeat

The Sentinel
A SPIRITED second half showing from Crewe Alexandra failed to undo a disastrous opening 15 minutes as they went out of the Capital One Cup at the hands of Preston North End.
Jordan Hugill’s penalty after five minutes, and Will Keane’s close range finish after 13 minutes punished Crewe who were slow out of the blocks.
But after Adam King handed Crewe a lifeline with his first goal in professional football just before the break, Crewe much were much improved after the break and unlucky not to force extra time.
There were signs of the more attacking brand of football that Steve Davis is trying to bring to his side, while a midfield three of Billy Bingham, David Fox and goalscorer King were much improved.
Substitutes Ryan Colclough and George Cooper  added a real thrust after their introduction, but Crewe just couldn’t find that elusive second goal.

The Chronicle
Crewe Alex were knocked out of the Capital One Cup when a disastrous first 15 minutes gave them a mountain to climb, at Gresty Road on Wednesday.
Two early mistakes put the Alex on the back foot. First Ben Garratt tripped Will Keane in the box and Jordan Hugill blasted home a fifth-minute penalty.
Then on 13 minutes a poor defensive header from Jon Guthrie gave Keane a simple chance to ram home the second from close range.
It should have been 3-0, but missed sitter from Hugill kept them alive and, credit to the hosts, they kept their nerve and passed their way back into the game.
An excellent goal from teenager Adam King got them back in the game, a sweet left-footed finish at the end of some good build-up play from Brad Inman and Lauri Dalla Valle.
Preston hit the woodwork twice in the second half but Crewe were always in it, playing good stuff in patches. Marcus Haber went closest to getting a goal back, but Josh Brownhill’s late strike sealed it.

Lancashire Evening Post
Preston North End booked their place in the second round of the Capital One Cup with victory over Crewe at Gresty Road.
They made harder work than they should have in beating their League One opponents but eventually got the job done.
North End raced into a 2-0 lead inside the opening 13 minutes, Jordan Hugill netting from the penalty spot before Will Keane doubled the lead.
Hugill then missed an open goal which would have had the game wrapped up inside half an hour.
Crewe took advantage of that let-off, Adam King halving the deficit nine minutes before the interval.
It was nip and tuck after that, with both sides going close to scoring.
Jordan Pickford made a fine save to deny Marcus Haber an equaliser, then Josh Brownhill and Greg Cunningham both hit the woodwork.
The visitors finally out the lid on their victory in the 86th minute, Brownhill firing home the third goal.

Advertisement block