Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bristol City Paper Review

22 December 2014

What the press made of the top v bottom clash at Gresty Road

The Sentinel
JAMIE Ness's thunderbolt 17 minutes from time proved to be the matchwinner as the Alex shocked league leaders Bristol City at Gresty Road.
The on-loan Stoke City man had started 10 games for Crewe during his time in South Cheshire without seeing his side win.
But after Bristol City were reduced to 10 men with just four minutes of the second half gone, Crewe made the numerical advantage count 16 minutes from time as Ness fired in a thunderous effort from the edge of the box.
However, it was a nervy end from the Alex as they had to stand firm to keep the league leaders at bay.

The Chronicle
JAMIE Ness hit a second-half winner as the Alex stunned League One leaders Bristol at Gresty Road on Saturday.
The on-loan midfielder’s powerful strike separated the sides and earned the Railwaymen their first win in nine attempts.
For the in-form Robins, who were down to 10 men for more than half-an-hour, it was just a third league defeat of the campaign and they will still spend Christmas at the summit.
But for Crewe it was a morale-boosting success which, despite the fact they remain bottom, could become a springboard for a rise up the table.

Bristol Post
Bristol City suffered a shock 1-0 defeat at Crewe as League One’s bottom side stunned the leaders at Gresty Road.
Jamie Ness grabbed a spectacular winner in the 73rd minute to settle the issue as the Robins lost a league game for only the third time this season.
But there were extenuating circumstances for City, who were forced to play the final 40 minutes with 10 men after Derrick Williams was sent off.
Dismissed for a second yellow card offence after bringing down Crewe forward Uche Ikpeaze, Williams had to go, leaving his team-mates to battle against the odds.
Rather than shut up shop and play for a draw, the Robins adopted a high-risk strategy in a brave bid to win a pulsating contest.
But the leaders were frustrated by keeper Ben Garratt, who made a series of stunning saves to keep the Railwaymen in the game during a first half which was shaded by the visitors.

Advertisement block