Boss steps up search for forward before Thursday's loan deadline
In the wake of Max Clayton’s ankle injury, Steve Davis says the club have stepped up their search for a new forward ahead of Thursday’s deadline. Crewe are expected to without their England youth international for the remainder of the season, after he needed surgery for a fractured ankle, sustained in the club’s FA Cup exit to Wycombe Wanderers.
The Alex boss has also had to contend with the loss of last season’s top scorer Mathias Pogba (knee) after he suffered that injury in pre-season.
Steve told crewealex.net: “You could see on Saturday that although we did well and had our moments, we didn't capitalise on the balls in the box.
“It's not rocket-science we need a striker, someone more threatening who has a record of scoring goals. We tried very hard last week but didn't pull it off.
“We are looking at a couple of options. I've got a list, some are young players. You always take a chance with loans, you never know how they fit in, but they at least add competition and give everyone else a boost.
The boss added: “We always try to soften it by getting a few out, but the board have backed us getting some in. The chairman said if I need to bring people in, 'do it'.”