Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bury Paper Review

30 March 2013

See how the press reported our 2-2 draw at Gigg Lane

Manchester Evening News

Bury striker Andy Bishop salvaged a point with an injury time penalty in a 2-2 draw at Gigg Lane.
The Shakers squad was left depleted when Craig Jones was ruled out with a groin injury and Joe Skarz headed to Rotherham on a last-minute loan yesterday and again couldn't fill the subs' bench.
Nevertheless the home side dominated possession in the first half.
After just five minutes, Crewe keeper Steve Phillips failed to deal with Steven Schumacher's looping cross but neither Bishop nor Craig Fagan could reach the ball in time to convert.
Nicky Ajose and Efe Sodje went close to giving Bury the lead before the visitors struck in the 28th minute against the run of play.
Highly-rated Alex youngster Max Clayton firing in past Shakers keeper Cameron Belford.
Bury were level just before the hour when Tom Soares headed in home in after good work from Ajose.
But it looked like heartbreak when Crewe again took the lead eight minutes from time when Bradden Inman scored from the edge of the box.
But Bury scrambled an equaliser when Steve Schumacher was fouled by Mark Ellis and Bishop tucked away the spot-kick.

Crewe Chronicle

AFTER watching his side draw 2-2 at Bury on Saturday Crewe Alex manager Steve Davis said: "With the position we were in 2-1 up going into the stoppage time I am disappointed not to have won the game.
"I was disappointed to concede the two goals we did and especially a last minute penalty. I will have to see the incident again and I don't want to comment until I have. I think (Matt Tootle) has had an air shot with a clearance and someone has fallen over so the referee has seen something and given it, but I didn't see it clearly enough to make a comment yet.
"We knew it would be a tough game because Bury have nothing to lose and are fighting for their lives. They are giving everything and we knew what the game was going to be like. We knew they had attacking players on the pitch to have a real go and we had to deal with that. I thought we did stand up to it.

The Sentinel

STEVE Davis has told his Crewe players to prove they can match the fighting instincts of teams at the foot of the table.
Crewe head to Bury today determined to make amends for back-to-back defeats against Portsmouth and Hartlepool in their last matches against teams currently in the bottom four.
That's not good enough says Davis, below, who knows Crewe could have a strong chance of the play-offs if they had a better record against the strugglers.
He said: "We have played those teams like Portsmouth and Hartlepool and we haven't been able to beat them.
"So, this is a real test for us at their place on a difficult surface against a team that is fighting for their survival. They are never easy games.”

The Sun

ANDY BISHOP’S last-gasp penalty kept Bury’s survival hopes alive.
Max Clayton and sub Bradden Inman twice fired Crewe in front, with Tom Soares hitting back.
Bury boss Kevin Blackwell said: “The game could have been over at half-time but I keep saying it — should have, could have.”
Crewe chief Steve Davis said: “We should have won. I’m disappointed to concede a late penalty. We should have seen the game out.”
Mark Ellis fouled Steve Schumacher for the spot-kick.

Advertisement block