Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Bury Paper Review

7 August 2013

See how the press reported our 3-2 cup loss to the Shakers

The Sentinel

STEVE Davis was left furious with Crewe's defending at set pieces after his side were knocked out of the League Cup.


The Alex were in command of the early stages of tonight's first round tie at League Two Bury, taking the lead in the fifth minute through Chuks Aneke.


But Shaun Beeley levelled with a 25-yard volley after the visitors failed to properly clear a set piece in the 20th minute.


Crewe were 2-1 behind soon after when Anthony Grant felled Craig Jones and Shaun Harrad scored from the spot.


And it was 3-1 two minutes into the second half when George Ray and Aneke lost their men at a corner and Richard Hinds poked home.


Harry Davis made it 3-2 with a penalty after Rob Lainton had chopped down Vadaine Oliver but Crewe could not find a third.


Steve Davis said: "It's hard to find positives from conceding three and losing at Bury. We played well in the first 15 minutes and could have been two or three up but that wasn't to be.


"They got back into it because of our ill-discipline. We haven't defended the second phase again from long throws, set pieces and corners."


Manchester Evening News


After a stuttering start, the Bury revolution is back on track.


Just three days after opening their League Two campaign with defeat, the Shakers shocked Crewe 3-2 to reach the second round of the Capital One Cup.


They did it the hard way, falling behind to a fifth-minute goal from Chucks Aneke before Shaun Beeley, Shaun Harrad and Richard Hinds scored to clinch victory.


And the Shakers could receive a further boost with Kevin Blackwell close to sealing the arrival of a midfielder on loan from a Championship club.


"All in all, I thought it was a very, very good performance," said boss Kevin Blackwell.


"After the first ten minutes they sorted themselves out and went from strength to strength.”


Crewe Chronicle


CREWE Alex were knocked out of the Capital One Cup at the first hurdle by League Two outfit Bury on Tuesday night.


The Railwaymen, who conceded three goals on the opening day of the season, saw their defensive frailties exposed again by the Shakers at Gigg Lane.


Chuks Aneke gave Crewe an early lead with his first goal since rejoining on loan from Arsenal, but the home side raced into a 3-1 lead before a Harry Davis penalty set up a tense finale.


The cup exit will come as a blow to the Gresty Road club who enjoyed success in knockout competitions last term.

Advertisement block