Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Hartlepool Paper Review

8 October 2012

See how the press reported our 2-1 win

The Sentinel

ALEX boss Steve Davis was happy with the result, but not the performance as the Railwaymen put a stop to their five-game winless streak with a hard-fought comeback against Hartlepool United.
Mark Ellis netted his first goal for the club to seal the points for Crewe after Chuks Aneke had cancelled out Evan Horwood's early opener.
But things could have been easier for the Railwaymen had Mathias Pogba not ignored his manager's orders to let Harry Davis take a first-half penalty – which the striker went on to balloon into the stands.

The Sun

MATHIAS POGBA got a rollicking from Alex boss Steve Davis after he missed a penalty.
Pogba fired a first-half spot-kick over after Peter Hartley’s handball but goals by Chuks Aneke and Mark Ellis secured the Railwaymen’s first win in five games.
Alex chief Davis said: “Harry Davis should have taken it and I told Pogba at half-time.”
Pools led through sub Evan Horwood and boss Neale Cooper said: “I feel for my lads.”

Northern Echo

HARTLEPOOL UNITED suffered a 2-1 loss at Crewe – and Neale Cooper will head home wondering how they returned home with nothing to show for their efforts.
After a much-improved home performance in midweek ended with a defeat to Sheffield United, so this followed suit.
This was their most completed performance away from Victoria Park this season and they went some way to restoring pride after the 5-0 Capital One Cup thumping here in August.

Hartlepool Mail

HARTLEPOOL United again surrendered a lead away from home as they went down to a 2-1 defeat at Crewe Alexandra, writes Craig Hope.
Neale Cooper’s men - beaten 3-1 at Colchester United seven days ago having scored early on - were in front inside 10 minutes when Evan Horwood pounced, but goals from Chuks Aneke and Mark Ellis - either side of a missed Mathias Pogba penalty - saw home the points for Alex as Pools again went down with little sign of fight.

The Crewe Chronicle

AFTER watching Crewe Alex beat Hartlepool 2-1 at Gresty Road manager Steve Davis said: “The win was all important because when you have back-to-back home games you have to get something.
“Their goal looked far too easy for my liking but they got themselves back in the game and played some really good football.
“The goal was worth waiting for, it was a great first time effort.
“Then it was about whether we could get the winner and we pushed so hard I thought we’d run out of legs a bit.
“We’ve been working on set-plays so I was delighted one came off. I have a swollen right knee from demonstrating where I want the deliveries to go.
“So we were due one and I was glad to see it go in.”

Advertisement block